Tuesday, January 28, 2014

something old

This one, like it's olive-dream predecessor, had me stumped for about 4 months. It felt naked, unfinished. I was worried about "messing up" the old documents... an envelop from 1893, a photo from 1926, a schoolkid's handwriting book from the 30's or 40's.

#5 (no name at present) 11x14" collage on canvas board

I knew I wanted to use all originals for the sake of authenticity... In the end, I added a color reproduction of the "120" ticket stub, and the butterflies on the right and in the top left corner. Such small additions but it feels much more interesting, and balanced, without obscuring the original documents. I also knew I wanted this one to have a much cleaner feel to it, so everything is basically on a horizontal/vertical axis and I wasn't terribly concerned with filling every space of canvas. I framed it too!! 

The knitting is, sadly, falling far behind in my recent fervor to tear and glue paper. I do have a pair of socks in the works that I could share at some point. They were supposed to be mr. quotidian's Christmas present, but, oh well. I did make a "copycat" pair of fingerless gloves, though.


Disco and I were in Eddie Bauer and he really wanted these $25 gloves, and I basically told him that was ridiculous I could make them. And I did. Out of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool. I can't remember what needle I used but it's a basic fingerless pattern with a thumb gusset. The body pattern is one round knit, then the next round k1, p1. Of course, then he put them in the washer. And the dryer. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment